Saturday, March 28, 2009

"Slumdog not so much"

I am no more blessed then any one else right? What counts me so special? I just watched Slumdog Millionaire and am daunted, if that is the right word, but not surprised by what happens in other countries to the innocent, the young the already beaten down and disparaged. I see these two little boys doing all that they can to survive, and escaping tremendous danger daily, I began to wonder how blessed am I? there is no way to quantify it. Did God bless me with letting me be born and raised here in comfortable America, where I did not "really" know about such horrible things as modern day genocide, human trafficking, drug cartels, poverty in it's most extreme, until I was in my mid twenties. Yeah maybe I was sheltered and naive; but my word does that make me blessed? Or did God place me here in America knowing that I would never have the strength, courage, raw intellect or faith to survive in an under developed conflicted country like India, South Africa, Ecuador. Now I realize that this is a movie but so much of it is true, the footage of the slums and the impromptu attack on people of a different belief, the vast difference between classes in India and children with out parents susceptible to the depravity of adults. I spoken with a gentlemen at work some about growing up in Indian, I also have the unique opportunity to work along side several people from the Philippines where much of the same is seen, as well as what I have seen with my own eyes in South Africa. people all over the world are hurting, yes even here in America, but I get to sit comfortably at my computer and blog about my thoughts after seeing such things on the big screen.

I know that I am blessed, I don't ask how blessed am I, to one up any one even if an answer were possible; I ask because I fear that if I ever end up in such a way of life that I would not survive. I hope that through the blessing of living in a country as a female I can be educated, have a career, live independently, have access to food and water and a toilette that is not a hole in the ground and private, medical care and so many other things that I may have forgotten, that I can be a blessing to others.

I might be rambling, hope not.

The point is I guess is that I just have to believe that God has a plan and He knows what he is doing. He uses us each differently as we all come from different cultures, educational and economical standings.

No comments: